Saturday, March 21, 2009

I have started this blog today(22nd March,2009), after having thought of starting one for sometime now. This is to share my thoughts, my dreams, my ambitions and those of my family, friends and colleagues. To give a brief intro about myself and my family first: My name is Sudesh Menon and I lead a company in water space. I have a loving wife Preeti, a son Arul- aged 5 years and a cute darling daughter- Anjali aged 2.5 years...I will post their pics once I learn a little more about blogging. We are a very close and loving family and we dot on each other. We stay in Hyderabad in the state of Andhra Pradesh in Southern part of India. My parents stay in the picturesque state of Kerala, where we come from. I have a brother, Santhosh who stays with his wife Gunjan and lovely daughter Subha in Bangalore-the silicon valley of India.

Before going much farther, let me explain the name of the blog- "TheBlueDrink". For the last three years, I am associated with providing safe water to the underserved people in India- especially far off remote rural villages and such challenging enviornments. I made this ie: "Providing Safe water to poor people" my mission in end 2005, and returned to India from Kuala Lumpur, where I was country head for a major business division of General Electric. The story of my moving back is interesting, but I will share it later..

"TheBlueDrink" for me denotes water in its pure sparkling form- that elixir of life, without which life is unimaginable. Which immediately brings to mind, deep satifying quenching of thirst, the rivers, the sparkling beaches....but which has become so scarce and such a precious commodity for the poor people living remotely from the cities and urban places. The worth of this liquid gold is known NOT to us, living off bottled waters and clean municipal treated waters which flow thorugh a household purifier before we drink it, but by a poor mother in a remote village when she loses a child due to diarea or cholera or jaundice. The importance is known to a mother who carries her daughter, vomitting and defacating to a village clinic miles and miles away, loses all her yearly savings in medical expenses and yet loses her child. Hence the blue drink for me denotes that clean safe water that needs to made available to the millions of people in this country. And there is an intricate link between water and children- and children are very dear to me- especially after I got my two children- the love for children is all pervasive...it is the same love that each parent gives his child...so when I see a child suffering, I am reminded of my own children and my heart shudders to think, if my child were in that situation...

So, that is what my blog is about...Safe, clean water and its access to children. I would be happy, if thorugh this, I can spread awareness on this critical problem and help solve it in whatever I can...My dream is to provide safe water to all by 2020, but even if I can walk a small way forward and can some more move with me, I would have done my job..

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sudesh - Welcome to blogosphere! Good to know about you, family and what you are doing. I am truly impressed!
    Also - I am quite eager to know about your moving back and what you are doing in more details. I will follow your blog.

    ReplyDelete